Alleged Bondi Beach Shooters Operated Independently and Did Not Undergo Preparation in the Southeast Asian Nation, Police State.
The pair of accused gunmen who carried out the fatal attack at a Hanukkah event on Bondi Beach, which claimed 15 lives, appear to have operated independently, as stated by national law enforcement.
Investigators also confirmed that Sajid Akram, 50, and his son Naveed Akram flew to the Philippines on 1 November. Their travel plans involved landing in the capital Manila before transiting that same day to Davao City. The pair returned to Sydney on 29 November.
Lack of Proof of Training During Trip
Police assert the individuals did not partake in any form of terrorist instruction or "organizing" during their time in the Philippines. Initial investigations from Philippine authorities indicate they "rarely left" their accommodation.
The attack—described as Australia's deadliest mass shooting since 1996—has been formally declared a terrorist incident.
"We are actively examining the evidence," the commissioner said, explaining that initial assessments indicate that "these individuals are alleged to have been lone actors."
National law enforcement Chief Krissy Barrett briefed media on Tuesday that surveillance material tracking the accused attackers' movements in the Philippines had been provided to Australian authorities.
"Our investigation shows no evidence to indicate these alleged offenders were affiliated with a broader organization, or were directed by external parties to perpetrate an incident," the police chief emphasized.
But, the duo were also not necessarily in the Philippines on a leisure trip, the official added. She emphasized that, given that the probe is continuing, additional details might surface.
Motivation and Court Proceedings
Previously, the nation's leader Anthony Albanese said it seems both alleged attackers were "motivated by the so-called Islamic State" extremist views.
During the attack, Sajid Akram was killed by responding officers. He and his son Naveed—reportedly carrying firearms—allegedly opened fire on participants at the Hanukkah event.
Naveed Akram, who was hospitalised after the attack, has been charged with 59 offences. These comprise 15 charges of murder and one count of carrying out a terrorist act. He is expected to face court in April.
Travel Information
In the days following the attack, border officials in the Philippines indicated that the father had entered the country using an Indian passport, while his younger suspect used an domestic passport.
The pair had declared the metropolis of Davao as their intended endpoint. Their pre-arranged return flight to Australia was for Sydney.
Davao is a sprawling urban center on the east of Mindanao, the Philippines' largest island in the south. The region is known because, Militant militants have reportedly be active in less developed parts of southern and western Mindanao.